+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mitsubishi hs-u70 s-vhs vcr (1988)

Default Mitsubishi hs-u70 s-vhs vcr (1988)

hi, all! i thought i would share pics of my mint condition HS-U70 complete with all accessories and original box! now, for the fun part. i recently aquired this example from one lindy senters, ("MUSICTEACHERFL96" on ebay) anyway, she posted it on the bay, i ran across it and freaked! it was a perfect example. not only that, but she claimed not only that it had been in it's box with a defective drive belt most of it's life (which was true) but also she took it in to a service center and they released it with a "CLEAN BILL OF HEALTH". so, as she wanted a $400 BIN and i couldint afford that at the moment, i waited on it. the auction ended, with no takers, and i contacted her directly asking if she could hold onto it for a month while i scrape together the funds. she agrees, i buy it, i get it, well packed. all seems well, until i find that the S-VHS mode doesn't work, it has a bad idler (no REW) and suddenly it doesn't even want to play ANYTHING. i open the bottom panel to see that the hell's up, and -get this- the drive flywheels are connected via TWO RUBBER BANDS!! no wonder there wasint any drive torque!! anyway, i start a PAYPAL dispute with her, and eventually she agrees to pay for the service after it's done and i produce the final bill. so, i do just thatjust that, and she never gets back to me! anyway, obiously i am going to have to eat the service bill of $110.95, which brings the grand total to $535.95, but, que,sera,sera. at least i got a magnificent specimen out of the whole affair.:music: !!!!!!IMPORTANT NOTICE!!!!!! all HS-U70 owners should see the info regarding this model's S-VHS fault towards the bottom of this page. !!!!!!IMPORTANT NOTICE!!!!!!

Last edited by MacGyver; 08-03-2010 at 09:55 AM.

this VCR is the very first high end model i had ever seen. back in 2004, we were members of umatiilla electric co-op. they had an annual member meeting with amusements, stage shows and an excellent BBQ meal. they also had indoor amusements and hot dogs&soda for the kids while we adults attend the yucky BBQ and meeting. anyway, 2004 was the last year we attended before losing our manufactured home and our membership, and that year, they had in the kids area a mobile cart with a mess of A/V gear consisting of a late model SONY VCR, a SONY playstation 2(that the kids were playing Dance Dance Revolution on) a late '80s MITSUBISHI 27" monitor(very nice!) and an HS-U70. i double-taked when i saw it. i had never before seen such a beautiful VCR. i asked the supervisor if i could get a few shots with my camera, and she got the kid off of the playstation long enough for me to do so. in the three years since, i have repeatedly called up the woman in charge at the co-op to go about purchasing it from them. she always refused. then, in mid '07, we finally join the rest of the world and get DSL internet. by january of 2008, i find my -U70 and am finally at rest. anyway, below are some of those shots i got at that co-op meeting.(eventually, i intend on finding another U70 with that dark bronze front panel and swapping it out with mine as i have since decoded that it actually looks a whole lot better than the dark gunmetal of mine)(PS: that bronze is not nearly as bright as that damn camera flash makes it out to be, it looks quite magnificent in real life)

*****IMPORTANT NOTICE, VALUABLE INFORMATION!*****

the faulty S-VHS playback problem is in fact common to all HS-U70s. it is a result of a faulty cap on the tiny, JVC S-VHS hybrid IC board vertically mounted on the S-VHS PCB. just swap that cap out with a 4.7uf 50v and S-VHS functionality will be restored:

-FAULTY ORIGINAL CAP-

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...I/HV-S54_5.jpg

-REPLACEMENT CAP-

[http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...I/HV-S54_6.jpg

Wow sorry to hear about that dispute on Ebay.. Rubber bands are not good to replace with, tho sometimes they may help for a temp fix, until you get the belt.. That is a very nice machine you have there, and very high quality, much more than any recent junk produced (mid 90s to now).. I have a bunch of Zenith VHS VCRS which I've been running across at thrift shops i need to take pics of and post to the galleries...

Adam

+ Reply to Thread